Results 1 to 4 of 4
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silverman

Thread: How to: WiFi Car Engine Diagnostics on Spica

  1. [translate]    #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7

    Default How to: WiFi Car Engine Diagnostics on Spica

    Hi all,

    I have just managed to get a WiFi car diagnostic interface running with Torque on my i5700. This lets you read/clear engine fault codes and live engine data. There are bluetooth options available for Android which are more straightforward to setup but I liked the idea of WiFi .

    My mate has this running on his iPhone. I thought it was great and was determined to get it working under Android. I searched the internet but could not find a guide to do this so, through trial and error and lots of reading, I got it working and wanted to share my results.

    Here is my guide:

    This is the interface I used:
    ELM327 OBDII / EOBD Car Scan Tool diagnostics interface (Wi-Fi)
    (other makes are available)

    The WiFi interface runs an Ad-hoc network which standard Android phones do not support.

    The first step is to root the phone to get access to the Superuser functions.

    To do this, I followed the guide below:

    Root Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 With LeshaK’s Kernel

    Then updated to Build LK2.08.1 using the following guide:

    LK2.08 for original firmwares - Root (new Superuser), WiFi tether, bb [12.07.2010]

    This added WiFi Tether

    Run WiFi Tether once. I am not 100% sure this is needed but all WiFi tutorials I found said to do this, so I'm adding it in too.

    You need the following files to get the adhoc setting running:

    set-adhoc
    off-adhoc

    These can be downloaded here:

    http://www.gendan.co.uk/download/adhoc.rar

    Using Android Debug Bridge (adb) copy the files on to your phone. From the PC command prompt using adb, type the following:

    adb shell remount rw
    adb push set-adhoc /system/xbin/
    adb push off-adhoc /system/xbin/
    adb shell chmod 0755 /system/xbin/set-adhoc
    adb shell chmod 0755 /system/xbin/off-adhoc
    adb shell remount ro

    Download the free 'Terminal Emulator' app from the market.
    Download the free version of 'Torque' from the market.
    Connect your diagnostic interface to the car.

    Run Terminal Emulator
    Type the following:
    -su
    -set-adhoc
    (you may need to run the set-adhoc command twice as it does not always pick up the interface first time).

    Fire up Torque. In Settings: set Connection to WiFi, IP address to: 192.168.0.10, Port to: 35000
    The interface should connect and you can start reading data.

    When you have finished playing with the car, you can exit ad-hoc mode.

    In Terminal Emulator
    Type the following:
    -off-adhoc
    -exit
    -exit

    You will need to switch your phone off and back on to restore normal WiFi connections. You may also need to enter the WiFi settings on the phone and select 'WiFi on'.

    I hope I have remembered everything.

    * Usual disclaimer applies. This worked for me but please don't blame me if you brick your phone *

    Regards,
    anant210 likes this.

  2. [translate]    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wellingborough, UK
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Hi silverman. A good find! I am using elm bluetooth adapter and it is really straightforward. But I am not very happy with speed. I only get about 2 sensor reads per second which I find really slow. Is wifi any faster? cheers
    ditched spica and got SGS and what a relief! It's like going to a toilet after a long ride. Very long ride.

  3. [translate]    #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hi andriusst,

    I have played with a few different cars over the last few weeks. Overall, I am impressed with the update rate. It seems to depend on the following:

    1. The protocol of the car
    2. The number of parameters being viewed at a time

    Newer cars which connect on the CAN protocol give a very fast update. If I look at a single parameter (such as RPM) on a CAN car, the update rate is pretty much instantaneous. As you add in more parameters you can see the update slowing a little.

    Cars running other protocols (e.g. ISO9141-2, KWP2000) are noticeably a bit slower. From reading some articles, this is limited by the car only offering a 9600 baud connection. I still seem to be getting 3 to 4 updates a second, so not too bad.

    I will keep playing

    When I get a chance, I am going to flash to a newer phone setup. Hopefully, it will still all work.

    Regards,

  4. [translate]    #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Just updated the phone to CyanogenMod 6.1.1

    Ad-Hoc networking is now so much easier .

    To connect to the GENDAN WiFi interface, you just need to do the following:

    1. Go to Settings
    2. Then Wireless & Networks
    3. Then Wi-Fi Settings
    4. Click the menu button (just off bottom left corner of screen) and select Advanced
    5. Set the option to Use Static IP
    6. Enter the following:

    IP Address: 192.168.0.11
    Gateway: 192.168.0.10
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS1: 8.8.4.4
    DNS2: 4.4.4.4

    7. Press the bottom left menu button again and select Save

    You should now be able to see and connect to the GENDAN WiFi car interface.

    Use the settings for Torque mentioned in the first post.

    All works great for me. Much simpler method than before.

    Hope this helps,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •