All the needed apk and Super One Click itself can be downloaded @ the attached below.
Since z4root, one of the easiest ways to root, is not working on Froyo in Galaxy 3, I decided to make this separate thread for instructions on how to root Froyo using Superoneclick.
First and foremost: Enable USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development. Make sure it is ticked.
Download the attached Superoneclickv1.5.zip file. Extract its contents. Make sure your phone drivers are installed on the computer (Samsung Kies). Then follow the steps:
1. From the extracted contents, run the file named Superoneclick.
2. Turn off your phone, then connect it to the computer using the USB Cable. Don't turn on the phone. Keep it off but connected to the computer.
3. In Superoneclick, click on the 'Root' button. After a few seconds, it'll say 'Waiting for device'.
4. Now turn on your phone (while it is still connected to the computer). Superoneclick will detect the phone.
5. Now the phone will be rooted, while it is starting up. When it is started, it'll be rooted.
6. After rooting, download and install busybox on your phone. It should take care of any slowing down of your phone after rooting.
That's it. The phone is now rooted, although it would be so much better if z4root worked on Froyo..
For those getting stuck at the 'pushing raceagainstthecage' step, try this method. Credits go to haree:
UNROOTING INSTRUCTIONS:1. login as admin and then open the application. Or right click on Superoneclick.exe and click on 'Run as administrator'.
2. turn off ur Virus protection
3. remove all the additional external USB devices(this seems to confuse the SW)
i removed all the above mentioned
and then follow the instructions u will be successful
it worked for me now i have 2.2 and rooted
Unfortunately, the method to unroot by clicking on the Unroot button in Superoneclick does not work. So follow the following steps to unroot.
1. Download rootexplorer.apk (attached) and install Root Explorer on phone.
2. Run Root Explorer. A 'Superuser Request' prompt will come up. Press Allow.
3. Now, on the top, there will be a button saying 'Mount R/W'. Press it. It should change to 'Mount R/O'. The button should say 'Mount R/O' in order for you to be able to do anything in the following steps.
4. Now scroll to the bottom, click on system. Then click on bin.
5. In the bin folder, look for a file named 'su'. Long press on this file, and select Delete to delete it.
6. Now go back to the system folder by pressing the Back button once.
7. Now enter the app folder. Scroll down and look for the file named 'superuser.apk'. Long press on this file and delete it.
8. Exit Root Explorer after this. Uninstall it if you don't want to use it.
9. That's it. Your phone will be un-rooted.
Another method to unroot:
1. Download and install Terminal Emulator (attached).
2. Run Terminal Emulator on the phone. If you don't see a keyboard to type, press Menu and press Toggle Soft Keyboard.
3. Type su and press enter. Press Allow on the 'Superuser Request' prompt. The $ sign will change to a #.
4. Now type the following line exactly as it is and press enter: mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
5. Nothing will happen visually. The pointer will shift to a new line.
6. Now type the following line and press enter: rm /system/bin/su
7. Again, type following line and press enter: rm /system/app/superuser.apk.
8. Now exit Terminal Emulator. Your phone is un-rooted.
Credit: addicted208@xda - SRC