WARNING: THIS METHOD CAN BE DANGEROUS. DON’T DO ANYTHING IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU DO.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU TRANSFORM YOUR SPICA INTO A BRICK
(Although flashing XSR-based a.k.a old ROMs can be more dangerous, because of XSR brokenness.)
You need to have at least LK2.xx with recovery (or ANY other ROM with recovery) to install this ROM and follow all the instructions CAREFULLY and EXACTLY! SpicagenMod Froyo with VOKU-kernel is recommended. CM 7 alpha 4 is known to cause problems.
This ROM is still a development version and is recommended only to people with at least some basic knowledge about Android troubleshooting. If your knowledge about Android is enough only to use the basic features of the phone then stay with 2.1 or 2.2 ROMs.
Features thanks to the new 3.0.x kernel
- Code base updated to Linux 3.0 (3.0.55 currently).
- Completely rewritten board support code.
- Drivers heavily cleaned and fixed or rewritten completely.
- New partition scheme. (~240 MB of space on /data partition)
- Native flash file systems support (e.g. YAFFS2 and UBIFS).
- Preemption enabled. (It was disabled in old kernels to hide synchronization issues in several drivers)
- SLUB kernel allocator. (Previously the used proprietary XSR flash memory driver required SLAB)
- No more proprietary (binary-only) kernel modules.
- Easily portable to other s3c6410-based phones and upgradable to newer Linux kernel versions.
- No more bugs of original code stopping Android 2.3 and newer from working correctly (no more SoDs and similar).
+ GSM (including mobile data statistics)
+ SDCard/USB mass storage
+ Bluetooth (including voice calls)
+ 2D/3D HW acceleration (using OpenFIMG, no proprietary libs)
+/- Camera (preliminary implementation - no video recording and might crash sometimes)
- Hardware video encoding/decoding (YouTube HQ, high bitrate avi/mpg) - not planned
- Reboot to recovery doesn't work. (Use 3 key combo, Volume Down + Call Accept + Call Disconnect)
- Graphics driver (OpenFIMG) is still in development and some OpenGL applications might not work correctly (mostly games).
- Native and AP-mode WiFi tethering is unsupported (Try android-wifi-tether, Barnacle Wifi Tether or Open Garden, which are ad-hoc based)
- Phone doesn't power off if USB cable or charger is connected (disconnect before turning the phone off).
- Graphics performance in landscape mode is reduced, due to a driver problem. It will be fixed in next releases.
- Landscape keyboard lag. As a workaround disable "Popup on keypress" option in keyboard settings and it should work fine.
- Gallery3D is broken, please use other image viewer instead. (e.g. QuickPic)
- Flash_kernel.zip fails with "cannot mount TMP:" error. Flashing other .29 kernel (like latest VOKU's) before applying flash_kernel.zip should help.
- Phone gets stuck in recovery after flashing flash_kernel.zip. Flash a boot logo (less than 128KB!) in Odin with Debug only and Parameter clear options selected. If doesn't work, flash back to 2.1, root, flash 2.2 and then flash CM7 again.
- USB driver fails to install on Windows 7. Follow this tutorial to install it manually: [Discussion] CyanogenMod-7.1-NIGHTLY-Spica-alpha5.1 using driver from this post: [Discussion] CyanogenMod-7.1-NIGHTLY-Spica-alpha5.1
Fixes/Changelog (from Build 7.4)
- Voice calls over BT headset
- Redesigned and rewritten libaudio
- Voice call recording using any sound recording application
- Fixed audio input with headphones without a microphone connected
- Data statistics
- Kernel base updated to 3.0.55.
- Updated CM sources.
- Several minor fixes.
- Multitasking settings are default now.
- All the rest I forgot to mention
This description is about the stable build. Latest test builds (if present) can be found at the end of this thread.
Remember, this is a test version, it isn't guaranteed that everything works correctly!
See next posts for more information.